Saturday, July 07, 2007

Urban hiking in DC on a warm Saturday

I was suddenly seized with a desire not to go to the gym today, and so I decided to do an "urban hike" - a walk around DC. In today's heat, I definitely sweat a lot, but I can't say it's really aerobic exercise. Maybe 5-6 miles, total loop, but I don't walk fast enough to do the powerwalking aerobic thing. Still, I felt like being outside even though it is summer in DC, which is to say, horrible. Why can't I be in California, preferably the Eastern Sierra Nevada? Jean-Marie and Renee were at Renee's swim meet at St Alban's - they are out the door pretty much every Saturday by 6:30 am, which is a precise and accurate explanation of why I gave up on attending swim meets. So I hiked from our house at American University down to Dupont Circle, then cut over on M Street and recrossed Rock Creek Park into Georgetown. I'm currently sitting and posting from Saxby's coffee house next to Georgetown University. I like the place - student place, friendly, airconditioned, free wifi - I used to come here Sunday mornings while Renee was in religion class at the church up the block. Listening to my ipod - I broke with all the Marianne Faithfull oldies I had been just slightly obsessed with (Renee asked me What On Earth I Had Been Humming For Three Days Straight?!? - Ans: Faithfull's cover of the 1930s Boulevard of Broken Dreams. I finally got it out of my head by playing the melody on my cello - it works well in D minor in either of two octaves. It would sound good with two cellos, one on the melody and one on an arpeggiated background, or two cellos with a vocalist singing in Faithfull's "nicotine-stained" contralto.) So: not Marianne Faithfull, but Antonio Caldara's trio sonatas and cello sonatas, from the 17th century Italian Baroque.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Ski Channel is the only cable television network devoted to the wide variety of year round mountain activities such as skiing, snowboarding, hiking, biking, backpacking, climbing, etc, along with many off-slope activities. The Ski Channel is an original ad supported network delivered via VOD, web, wireless and other means of distribution.

-Be sure to check it out at www.theskichannel.com